Why is it important to wash your brushes?
1. Your brushes will get damaged a lot faster if you don’t regularly maintain them
2. It will change the colour of your makeup
3. Brushes attract dirt and bacteria, which may cause breakouts and irritations
Ideally, it’s best to shampoo your brushes after every use, but it’s a time consuming task and who really has the time to do that everyday? Solution: Get the instant brush cleaners that don’t require water! These cleaners are so much more convenient and easy to use.
The product I use is the Sephora Daily Brush Cleaner, which is a great anti-bacterial spray I use everyday. All I have to do is spray the cleaner twice onto a Kleenex and then gently roll and swipe the brush onto the Kleenex removing the product.
Here’s what it would look like afterwards:
So as you can see, there was a lot of product left on my brush even after one use!
The daily brush cleaners are useful, but we should still give all our brushes a thorough wash at least every 2 weeks (…I only do this once a month… SHH!) There are many brush shampoos out there now, but you can also use baby shampoos.
How to wash your brushes:
1. Put a small amount of shampoo on the palm of your hand
2. Gently swirl the brush into the shampoo
3. Lather the bristles with a small amount of water (you’ll see a lot of product coming out)
4. Gently rinse the bristles until the water becomes clear
5. Reshape the brush while damp
*Note: Try not to get any water on the handle or the ferrule of the brush (the ferrule is the part where all the bristles are held together) – having water soaked in that part will cause the bristles to fall out.
How to dry your brushes:
1. Set a towel flat on a surface
2. Wrap the brush in the towel and gently press on the towel to squeeze out excess water
3. Reshape the brush
4. Lay the brushes on a slant as shown above (this will help excess water to drain out)
The brushes will need an entire night’s time to completely dry (approx. 8-12 hours)
Hope this post was helpful for you!
Go go go! Wash those brushes 😉